Service Rig Safety and Floor Hand Experience Special Project
Service Rig Safety and Floor Hand Experience Special Project is a two-credit, 30 level project. The project is designed to be the practical component that follows the completion of the Locally Developed Course Energy Education – Orientation to Service Rigs 35-5, available through the Alberta Distance Learning Centre (ADLC).
As part of the special project students will acquire certification in the following Industry recognized safety courses: eGSO (Enform –Electronic General Safety Orientation), First Aid with CPR, WHMIS 2015, Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG). Along with Energy Education 35-5, and HCS3000, these safety certifications will serve as prerequisites to a five-day training course during which students will acquire two additional safety certifications in H2S Alive and Fall Protection, as well as three days of hands-on service rig training as a service rig floorhand. This practical training will take place at the Northern Lights Trades Exposure Centre in Bonnyville, Alberta.
Engaging students through experiential learning will allow for a deeper understanding of the role and duties of a service rig floor hand, and provide a better knowledge and skill base that could help lead to employment in the oil and gas industry.
- Must be at least 16 years old
- HCS 3000 - Career and Technology Studies - Workplace Safety Systems
- Energy Education 35 -5 - Orientation to Service Rigs - Five-Credit Locally Developed Course - delivered through ADLC
- Enform –Electronic General Safety Orientation (eGSO) (½ hour, free)
- First Aid with CPR (12 hours, costs vary depending on the service provider)
- WHMIS 2015 (2 hours, free online)
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) certification (5 hours, approximately $40 per student online)
Hours to Complete
- Safety training pre-requisites - 19.5 hours
- H2S Alive training - 8 Hours - 1 day at Northern Lights Trades Exposure Centre
- Fall Protection training - 8 Hours - 1 day at Northern Lights Trades Exposure Centre
- On-site service rig training and experiential application of learning - 25.5 hours - 3 days Northern Lights Trades Exposure Centre
Total Hours: 61 hours